This week we have a first look at the new Strata4 from shoe brand 361°, the Bonatti running jacket from Salomon and finish off with the percussion massage gun from Exogun. Here’s our first thoughts on each product.
361° Strata 4 – £134.99
- MORPHIT Upper Lacing System an enhanced and simplified multi dimensional lacing design that comfortably harnesses the foot securely during dynamic movement
- Engineered mid-foot interior construction utilises a distinct pattern both medially and laterally to support the foot during stance phase and dynamic movement
- Newly designed Pressure Free Tongue construction perfectly contours the instep of the foot avoiding tongue migration and irritation
- Ortholite insoles utilise 20% recycled content while still retaining the performance fit and comfort that runners want
- QU!K Spring+Spring+, an EVA foam designed to provide more rebound, reduced compression and a resistance to extreme temperatures
- QU!KFOAM, a midsole material comprised of an EVA rubber blend with PU coating that provides excellent durability, cushioning and responsiveness
361° says: “The pinnacle in stability, this mid-to-high mileage trainer is designed to provide protective comfort and support mile after mile”.
- Drop: 8mm
- Weight: M 334g | W 274g
- Colours: White/Black, Poseidon/Blue,
RUN247 says: The Strata 4 is another visually appealing shoe from 361°. In our case the Poseidon and black colour option making a practical choice for the British climate.
Aimed at longer runs and delivering comfort and stability the Strata 4 has a minimal appearance. A wider lacing design (MORPHIT Upper Lacing System) holds the foot very snuggly in place.
An ingenious tongue design (Pressure Free Tongue) is formed from a one piece design, swooping over the top of the foot from the instep/medial side. This means there is no seam on the tongue area on one side of the shoe and barely one on the other side. This would seem to make a more secure and structured shoe in the mid foot area. As 361° call it a kimono fit tongue design.
Previous 361° models have proved to be very durable and this looks like a similar story with the Strata 4’s. Overall the shoe offers great scores in all areas, not too heavy for a longer mileage comfortable stability shoe. It looks great and the fit is first rate. As with previous models, this update is well worth trying on.
You can find out more at their website here.
Salomon Bonatti Waterproof Jacket – £145.00
Salomon says: Lightweight fabric that follows your movements, breathable weather protection plus minimalist details all come together in the BONATTI WATERPROOF JACKET for men. It also handily packs into its own chest pocket. Essential gear for mountain running, it can handle the tough and the gnarly.
- Benefits: Waterproof
- Fit: Active Fit
- Weight: 200g
- Colours: Indigo/Blithe, Black/Black, Ebony, Ebony/Olive, Sulphur Spring (bright green/yellow)
- MotionFit – Pattern engineering to enable unrestricted freedom of movement for each sport
- AdvancedSkin Dry – AdvancedSkin Dry Technology protects you from rain, snow and wind from the outside, while providing breathability through the membrane, allowing moisture vapour to escape and keep you comfortable
- Stow pocket – Stow your smaller items in this discrete pocket
- Smart hood – Minimalist construction hood that fits without draw cords or pullers
- Articulated sleeves – Engineered sleeves and elbows to increase the range of motion while reducing the bulk of fabrics
RUN247 says: A lightweight waterproof jacket that can be folded up very small and fits into its own pocket. The hood fits and the elasticated cuffs keep the weather out perfectly well.
Windproof and with a clever hood design that worked as suggested keeping things in place in a decent breeze.
Full length waterproof zipper with zipper garage to avoid rubbing against your chin. The fit was tailored with enough give to keep movements unhindered.
Find out more at the Salomon website here.
RUN247 says: The ExoGun DreamPro kit comes supplied with 4 attachments, a charge cable and in our test unit the carry case. There is a current trend for the gun style percussion massage devices. These portable massagers allow you to get straight into muscle massage anywhere and as quickly after exercise as possible.
The Exogun features 6 speed settings that operate at the following RPM and vibration frequencies
A twin display on the rear of the unit has indicators for speed (1-6) and the battery power level. These are easy to read and illuminated should you be operating the device in low light.
Weight is typical for such units, around 1.13kg or 2.5lbs which feels weighty but it makes it feel stable as you go through the speed levels.
Power is more than adequate! As you move from 1 to 6 there is a very noticeable increment from low to high speed.
The four attachment tools seem standard for most massage devices of a similar style. The foam ball attachment was my most used and offered a good level of massage.
Here’s the thing with gadgets like the Exogun. They seem like something you can quite easily live without until you try one. Then you’ll wonder what you did previously! This is just the case with Exogun. Percussion massage that is swift to administer and powerful in it’s performance will become part of your training ritual.
The claimed run time of the battery is up to 4 hours but this will be reduced when you use the higher speed or as you apply stronger pressure. The suggested use of 60 second bursts means there is more than enough battery life for many massage sessions.
These portable massage devices can be tucked into a drawer in between uses. In-between uses the charge holds well so you don’t need to be charging up all the time. Additional you won’t often find it out of charge so that post workout massage is ready to go.
There are a lot of percussion massage devices out on the market at all kinds of price points. These are often on offer and this is the case with the Exogun. We have tried and tested this unit and we have to say it does just what you need it to do.
Power is in abundance, there is plenty to play with and there is enough of a power spread from level 1 to 6 to cater for the majority of massage needs.
You can access a special package from Exogun for RUN247 readers here.
You can find out more at their website here.